Sunday, March 22, 2015

Soap Carving and Alteration Phase

 This is my second carving that is more anatomically correct.





 By placing the fox figure against the soap and carving out an outline I have found that it makes the figure a little more simple to carve.
 Here is the final carving and it turned out quite well.
 The following two photos are my first but less successful fox carving that will be used for the additives and the subtractions.

Subtraction: Carving line
 These two images show a line i carved down its back from its nose to its tail. This is not only a subtraction but also a set up for the next substantive.

 Subtraction: Microwaved for 40 seconds
The following three images show the result of putting my carving in the microwave for forty seconds. As I expected, the carving down the back did help direct the expansion of the soap which gave it a mutated back and caused the head to fall off. 


 Additive: Blue and Brown Paint
I added the paint in the following three photos to make the sculpture more visible in order to show what is happening to my carving and to see how the paint with react to the following steps.


 Additive: Vegetable Oil poured on the sculpture
In these two photos I added vegetable oil to see if there was any reaction because I know some soap is made with vegetable oil and I was curious to see if adding more to a finished product would cause anything to happen. There was no chemical reaction but it appears that the surface has been weakened slightly because the legs seem thinner. 

Subtraction: Pouring on baking soda and vinegar  
These two photos show the aftermath of putting baking soda on my sculpture and then adding vinegar. There was a lot of fizzing and it did eat into the sculpture. 

 Subtraction/Addition: Open flame and candle wax
These three photos show how I took a lit candle and ran it over the surface of the sculpture. Not only did it cause some burn marks but it also added the red wax you can see in the photos as the candle melted. 


 Additive: Glue over surface of sculpture
I poured glue all over the sculpture in order to get an interesting design and accentuate the numerous curves and divot in the sculpture. 

 Additive: Sprinkles poured over sculpture
I poured sprinkles over the sculpture because I thought I would look a little more like some type of ice cream dish. It now does resemble a serving of ice cream.

 These final photos are my completely altered sculpture on its temporary base.



These three photos showcase the completed soap sculpture that has been altered and put upon its permanent base. I modeled the base to display the piece of soap as this great object worthy of recognition, almost like an academy award but in reality it is simply a irregularly shaped piece of soap. In a way it is ironic as the base was made to be this very attention grabbing structure but the item it is presenting is not something that can be readily describable in any artistic terms. The colors we chosen to accentuate the colors use in the soap sculpture but in a darker color in order to better showcase the soap itself rather than draw attention to the base. 





No comments:

Post a Comment